Saturday, January 2, 2010

New Year, new things

New Years is a funny time for people who enjoy different types of food. It's a holiday, so you want to cook. But do you really want to make greens, cornbread and black eyed peas again this year? Start your new year off with something a little out of the norm.

This is how I felt leading up to New Years anyway. And my entire family was in Atlanta for the bowl game, of which I was not allowed days off work to attend.  But that was okay. I had the kitchen to myself to experiment however I liked. Cooking is not only a hobby to me; sometimes it helps as an escape or stress relief just as running also does for me. When it's literally freezing temperatures outside, I tend to cook more and run outside less. (My knee can tolerate the treadmill in the basement for only so long...ugh) Cooking is just comforting. You know that when you mix certain things together they will always come out delicious. :)

UPDATE: I was not completely alone for New Years (that's good, right?) It was nice to have two close friends accompany me for some culinary experiments--I taught Whitney Walker and Drew Streip how to make risotto. When cooked properly, risotto can be one of the most decadent and delicious things you can make. Not to mention the options for flavoring risotto are endless. We were feeling a little adventurous (or stupid?) and decided to add seared veal to our risotto. I know, crazy. But it was tasty. Also accompanied by mushrooms and chicken stock (NEVER WATER). Cook low and slow...that's the motto for cooking a good risotto. 

No comments: