Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Revamped shopping list

Everyone has to go to the doctor at least once a year, for either a check-up, annual appointment of some kind or an unfortunate sickness. You fill out the paper work, answer the same questions and your doctor is concerned with the same things--"how many hours of sleep do you get," "what is your diet like," "how much exercise do you get," and other such questions you sometimes embarrassingly try to stretch your answers to make yourself sound more healthy than you know you are. 

Bad habits that manifest themselves into any kind of routine in our lives can get out of control. I just graduated college and my brother is currently in college, so my parents aren't exactly spring chickens anymore. They get good news and not so good news at the doctors office, like we all do. As a result, our entire family has completely changed the items we eat in an attempt to become more healthy. Disease prevention is smart--no matter your age. 

We are also trying to up the consistency we go for bike rides, hiking and running to get more exercise. (PS I'm trying to get my dad to start a blog about hiking. He hasn't been too accepting to the idea as of yet.) My family is a crazy bunch, so all of this is more fun when we do it together. Mom hasn't been on a hiking adventure recently, she's trying avoid the snow. Smart woman.

So what does this mean for my blog? I will be writing about the healthier sides of cooking, for the most part. Every once in a while I may have a post about some delectable souffle or a chocolaty temptation, but even those can be altered to be more healthy. If you're a regular reader, you realize this isn't really that big of a change to my normal recipe/food posts. But giving some support to eat healthy never hurts! So take the junk food off your list. If you don't buy it, you won't sit and veg out on it on your couch.

If you need some more inspiration, I found this little chef in Hobby Lobby yesterday as I was making my way to the canvases. I thought he would be nice to have around in the kitchen as a little decoration. And how adorable is he? There are of several--check them out. (And no, I could not resist myself to just one. But I didn't take one of each home! Success.)

If you want some more options for chef themed kitchen decorations, check out these:






1 comment:

Chase said...

That little figure looks familiar...