Thursday, May 20, 2010

Here's how I started growing my herbs this spring

As the trees get new leaves in the spring, I take that as inspiration to spice up my recipes and such cooking techniques. In my previous blog entry I discussed general tips to begin herb growing, so in this entry I'm going to share how I started growing this season. 

Since I am in a new residence and with limited space of my own, I picked five herbs to plant in individual pots. While the exact specifications of the pots are up to personal preference, I chose ceramic pots with a ten inch diameter so the herbs could have room to grow well. If you know me personally, you will not be surprised to know that I painted the ceramic pots in quite lively colors: 

 
Now to the herbs that I chose. For me, it was simple. I chose the herbs that I use most often in my recipes. Sage, Thyme, Parsley, Rosemary and Basil. While I eventually want to grow more on a larger scale, this is very satisfying to take care of these so far this spring. 

The sage, thyme, rosemary and basil require full sun while the parsley requires part sun/shade. Because of this, they are placed on various sides of the house to accurately receive the correct amount of sunshine. I also water them twice a day, unless it happened to rain that day. These are considerations I and you must undergo if you take on herb growing as a hobby. Painless, I promise :)

Here are what my herbs looked like the day I planted the starter plants: 

While I'm only a few weeks into taking care of these herbs, they still have a lot of growing to do. I'll be sure to update the blog with any significant milestones of their herb lives haha!

No comments: