Sunday, September 19, 2010

Creamy Black Bean & Corn Soup

I decided to make something a little festive for the Steelers-Titans game today for the family: Creamy Black Bean & Corn Soup. Yes, in support for Pittsburgh. I was definitely in the mood for soup and black and gold ingredients?! It seemed like a win-win decision. However, I have never made such a creamy bean-based soup before, so it was a bit of an adventure in the kitchen. I knew it would work theoretically, but I sure made my grandmother go in a tizzy in her kitchen cooking without a recipe!

First, I decided to heat up some minced garlic and extra virgin olive oil in the soup pot. Meanwhile, I grabbed a food processor and blended 16 oz of rinsed and drained black beans, a handful of fresh parsley leaves (from my little herb garden! yay!) and 1/2 cup of sour cream (and you can use low fat if you'd like, I did and it worked fine). You don't want this mixture to be incredibly soupy, just enough that it's cohesive like a dip.


Mix in the black bean dip substance from the food processor into the soup pot with the garlic and olive oil. Then, add another 16 oz. of drained black beans and 16 oz. of drained corn (you can also get a can of the Southwestern corn which often comes with peppers and onions) into the soup pot and stir together. 

The next step is optional, but I chose to do it to make the soup a little thicker and cohesive. Get an immersion blender and blend the soup for 30-60 seconds, depending on how mushy you want your ingredients. You can use this blending method with any kind of soup with any ingredients, which is nice and it really helps everything come together. 


Serve hot with your choice of toasted bread! Go Steelers!





No comments: