Thursday, May 31, 2012

Term 1 Complete

I have successfully completed my first term at Johnson & Wales University with a wonderful GPA! Whahoo!

This post is going to be a bit of an update on what I've been keeping secret, but also to give a sneak peek of things to come in future posts. 

So regarding culinary school...
It was more difficult than I expected to balance going to school full time, working full time and of course taking care of myself and my puppy. So unfortunately, I didn't allocate as much time as I wished to post on here. However, I am challenging myself to a whole new level of time management and discipline. 

My first term of culinary school included the following classes:
Soups, Stocks and Sauces
Traditional European Cuisine
Introduction to Dining Room
New World Cuisine
Introduction to Baking and Pastry

With one term down, I am confident in the proper method of production to techniques I have been doing in my apartment throughout college and the beginning of my young professional years.  I think the thing that was so unpredictable about culinary school was the tests. Prior to starting, I had imagined all the possibilities of how they would test me on materials and my mind raced to competitive Food Network shows and chefs like Gordon Ramsey screaming and waving a whisk at me. However, the balance JWU found with written information exams and cooking practicals was fun! The practicals had a bit of a Chopped feel, with certain ingredients required and time constraints. I loved every minute of it and I'm looking forward to the second term this fall!


Looking forward to...
A summer in Charlotte to explore farmers markets!!! I pledge to post what I find :)
I'm also taking a WSET certification class in July, and I couldn't be more thrilled. It will definitely be a journey worth blogging about, so stick around to find out how it goes for me!

1 comment:

Oishii Treats said...

Sounds like your having a lot of at culinary school. congrats on your first term. =)