Monday, August 6, 2012

Day 1: Paleo Project

For August 5th, 2012: 
I imagine the first week of a new diet plan is difficult, simply because it's different. And I was reminded that as soon as I woke up this morning and realized that I couldn't have my ritual bowl of cereal--no grains and no dairy. Well that's a bummer. 

So instead, I remember a supportive friend from work gave me a sample of one of her recipes: an egg muffin. Yes, the whole idea intrigued me too. I wasn't sure it was going to be good or not, but I loved it! It had spinach, sausage, tomatoes and yummies inside. Paired with almonds and orange juice, and I enjoyed my first Paleo breakfast! And completely forgot about the cereal. 

However, I was faced with a bit of a situation. I'm testing my will-power with this 30 day experiment, and in a moment of weakness or complete exhausted forgetfulness, I could relapse. To Paleo-proof my apartment, I decided to box up everything from my pantry and refrigerator that I'm not allowed to eat and send it to my boyfriend's house for him and his roommates to devour. Win-win for everyone.
 For lunch, I had 11 carrots with some roasted red pepper hummus, 3 pieces of roast beef and 15 white grapes. Sounds like a lot, and I guess it was! I am finding you can eat more fruits and vegetables and it's still less carbs than a handful of greasy chips. Fun stuff. 

Dinner posed a bit of a difficulty at first. It was tax-free weekend in North Carolina, and a few friends and I went shopping for a few hours. Bargain hunting can work up an appetite in a girl, so we decided to have dinner. The first few ideas they suggested, I realized there wouldn't be anything within Paleo for me to eat. Then, they wanted to go to a pizza joint, and I decided that would probably be fine? On a hunch, I went, and luckily they had salads. So for dinner, I had a spinach salad with bacon, carrots, tomato and balsamic vinegar. And I wasn't lusting over their pizza and wings one bit!

Day 1 was a success! And it wasn't bad at all. Now on to tomorrow...

No comments: