Sunday, August 5, 2012

Paleo Diet for 30 Days!

Within the past few years, I have been encountered with more people who claim to be vegan, vegetarian, gluten or lactose intolerant, and the list is endless. While some live by choice because of morals, others are trying to improve their health. A "diet" I am particularly intrigued with is Paleo. While it seems to be the new cool diet fad from an outsider's perspective, the claims of it (if true) could drastically improve one's health.

Now I realize that discussions can get heated in a hurry when people voice their opinions about diets, health and the like. And obviously if I ask someone who is doing Paleo, they're going to tell me it's the best thing they've ever done and it's the best simply because they are doing it. So I have come to the conclusion that the only way I am going to get a non-biased option if the claims of the Paleo diet actually benefit the body is to sacrifice my body for science and do it myself. 

While some of my friends think I have completely lost my mind, I have done hours of research and eating within Paleo guidelines can't be bad for me. So why not try it? Most studies say it takes the body a few weeks to fully adjust, so in order to get an accurate judge regarding the energy boost claims I have decided to do this for 30 days. Since I am completely addicted to Diet Mt Dew, SweetTarts, and an array of other things that I'm sure are harming my body, I feel I will be a good specimen to test the Paleo claims. 

The whole idea of a Paleo diet is to eat how people did in the beginning. If a caveman couldn't eat it, neither can someone doing the Paleo diet. When I think about it, if cavemen were given our technology and medicine, they probably would have lived a very long time because they didn't have the sugary processed foods we have available now. 

I keep throwing the word Paleo around like everyone has also done research on this. If you are unfamiliar with the diet claims, here is the short version:

  • Cut out grains, dairy, soy, sugars, legumes, and basically all processed foods. 

    So what does that leave you to eat?

    • Meat, fowl, fish, eggs, vegetables, oils, fruits and nuts. Basically, the fresh, raw good stuff :)


My "before" stats:

  • weight: 128 lbs

  • energy level: exhausted and addicted to caffeine


Let's do this!


No comments: